Japanese Craft Book Library

A collection of a few of the books in kittykitty's personal library that she have posted about in the past.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Colours Knits
flow - fibers journey
by Vanessa Yap Einbund
Published | January 1, 2008
Dimensions | Square 80 pgs
Available on Blurb

I know I alluded to it earlier in the week, but I am very honored to present an interview with the multi-talented Vanessa Yap Einbund from coloursknits and Vanessa Yap Einbund / Photography & Design. I know most of us fell in love with Vanessa's postings about her knitting projects over the years, but her site has evolved too much more than just a knitting site to a blog of beautiful photographic inspiration and design.

And now she is offering to the public her first self-published title : flow - fibers journey.

Hi V, First of all I just want to thank you for stopping by and answering a few questions. It is a rare opportunity to actually get to talk to the photographer about her art. I feel very honored that you agreed to visit the blog for the interview.

Q: Are you a self-taught; photographer or did you have a mentor that showed you the ropes?

Yes! I am completely self taught, I read all types of articles/books and get all the experience by practicing my shots. I also have had such a wonderful opportunity to make wonderful friends through Flickr and other photography sites. They have been giving me great inspiration and encouragement.

Q:What inspired you the most?

Photographically, what inspires me most is the objects around me... the simple things in life that we don't generally see the beauty in.

Q:Do you rely on lighting (natural, or artificial), or do you rely on dark-room/computer manipulation?

I took most of my photos using natural light. But it's also depends on the situation, sometimes you just can't avoid using studio lighting if the subject or location you're photographing has very poor light source.

Q:Why are a lot of your photos "off center" and have so much empty space in them?

hahah..good question! When I look at a subject, I generally stop and think much about how and what I want to achieve, then I capture it and work on it in the way that feels right to me. The fact that so many photos of mine have an off-center composition isn't something I plan deliberately; it just comes out of what I do by pure feeling... I love the idea of having empty space in my photo...to me it is also a sense freedom and peacefulness I would like to convey through the imagery.

Q:What is the ONE lasting impression you want to leave in your photos?

Everything is beautiful...unattended plants on the sidewalk, little pebbles on the pavement that no one even care to look at, the darkness, everything strange, twigs and leaves...homeless men, crying babies..there are limitless...it's how you see through your lens that's matters.

Q:Before you put your work "out there". Do you have it critiqued by someone else, [o]r do you just go with what your heart tells you is right?

I just go with my heart, pretty much. I have to admit I am the hardest critique for myself. I wouldn't put anything out there unless it was doing what I intended to do... for myself emotionally.

Q: What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?

Running my own cafe that sells yarn, coffee and wine, traveling photographer specialize in food, as a photographer/stylist for martha stewart's/ saveur magazine.

Q: What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

Love! I'm just kiddin..I think it's people around me..especially my loving husband whom constantly giving me support. My friends like Olga and Priscilla. Remembering how lucky I am, I should make the most of it and do what I love. And find time to give back at some point.

Q: Do you have any intention to earn a living as a full time photographer?

Aside of my graphic design work...I've never done anything just for money. Photography started out as a primary means of self-expression and it is still is . Except, now I earn part of my living as a freelance photographer. I hope to continue that way and have a balance in life between photography and design.

Thanks so much, everyone! It was fun I hope I didn't do too bad a job answering them, I never know how to talk about these things without sounding completely ridiculous. And of course My preference would be to talk about my photography, I’m not sure that I would be much of an interesting topic! Thank you for having me here and all kinds of wonderful and thoughtful words.

Thanks so much again for stopping by and taking your valuable time for the interview. I can not wait to see your up and coming projects.Coloursknits on Flickr

Be sure to check our her photos also on Flickr

~photos up above were captured from coloursknits two web site and the cover of her book flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment