Japanese Craft Book Library

A collection of a few of the books in kittykitty's personal library that she have posted about in the past.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

General Pattern Books

Loop-d-Loop: More than 40 Novel Designs for Knitters
by Teva Durham, Adrian Buckmaster (Photographer)

 

 

 

 

 

Sarah Dallas Knitting
by Sarah Dallas, Catherine Gratwicke (Photographer)

I really am having mixed feelings about this book. It is really lovely and the photography is outstanding. The colour break down is beautiful. I love the chapter with purples and lime greens. This was a colour combination I really didn't appreciate before this book. My problem is I am not sure there are any patterns I will actually make. I can not really see making afghans or pillows for the home. Maybe the cable sock pattern or the yellow and purple tank top. So I am just really not sure about the book.

Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear
By Bush, Nancy

Really this book should have probably been titled differently. The title makes you feel like you are going to be exposed to the traditional techniques involved in the production of the wide variety of beautiful socks from many cultures. For example, most of the historical socks were knit from the toe up while all the socks in Bush's book are knit from the cuff down. She also may have simplified the socks to much. The book is good for learning and seeing different sock designs. The problem is that it doesn't really cover historical techniques. If you want a modern sock with beautiful patterns you will proably love this book.

 

Hollywood Knits Style
By Cousins, Suss

There are many things about this book that kind of annoy me. I love the pattern designs. I love the hip photos. I adore the barbie outfit that her mother knit for her daughter when she was a little girl. I bought the book and I certainly don't regret buying the book that is for sure, but on the other hand I am not sure I can honestly recommend the book either. I am not sure what it is that really annoys me. The patterns also don't seem that structured. It seems like you need to know a lot about knitting before you even start the simplest pattern. Also if you check her website there are a lot of patterns that have errors that she at least has posted the corrections. It is just annoying to know that you better check for errors first and correct your book before starting to knit. As a hole I have a lot of mixed feeling about the book.

PS: If you have trouble finding it you might want to check either of these links: new - used

Stitch 'n Bitch Nation
By Stoller, Debbie

So who isn't talking about Stitch 'n Bitch? I just picked up Stitch 'n Bitch Nation over the weekend and I love it. So many fun hip projects. Also if nothing else I wanted to help support the growing movement. I really wish there was an SB group here in Columbus. The thought of millions across the world just getting together to knit really makes me happy. I so long to go to the knit out in London at the V&A. I think Meow needs some dragon slippers, kitty hat, and the lap top bag. For me.... hmmmm. I think I need the Union Jack sweater, the cell phone case, and maybe the fuzzy dice.

PS: If you have trouble finding it you might want to check either of these links: new - used

Scarf Style: Innovative to Traditional, 31 Inspirational Styles to Knit and Crochet
By Allen, Pam

What an amazing book and truly inspirational for this time of year. 30 cool scarves and a turtleneck shrug. I feel in love with so many of the scarves inside the book, I just had to pick it up for my library. Someday I am determined to make the scarf of many colours. I just don't think I have enough yarn scraps at this point to start it. Though I haven't actually knit anything from the book I have spent countless hours reading the patterns and thinking about how these projects would fit into my knitting line up.

I think it is so cool that someone started a knit along for the book.

PS: If you have trouble finding it you might want to check either of these links: new - used

Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
By Hoverson, Joelle
Photographer Williams, Anna

 

 

 

 

 

 

Maggie's Ireland: Designer Knits on Location by Maggie Jackson, Alexis Xenakis (Photographer)

Check out the designs and yarns for Maggi Books

Ohh looks like she will be in ohio for TNNA, OH 10 June 2005 - 13 June 2005

Now if I just knew what that was?

No comments:

Post a Comment